 |
| The iconic structure all lit up |
 |
Sydney Central Business District at 5:30PM from the Tower
|
This afternoon we flew to Sydney. The flight took 2 hours and was uneventful. A matter of fact, checking into a domestic flight was much much easier than in the US...no taking off your shoes at security, no liquids in a separate bag....makes you realize how much has changed since Sept. 11th! When we arrived we took a taxi to the center of the city. I read about how to get into the city and apparently that's the cheapest way at the moment! The taxi driver was actually very friendly and pointed out all sorts of things. Our hotel, The Amora is a classy joint that Gene booked for us (a 5 star, completely out of our price range). Apparently he was supposed to get his coorporate rate but didn't. Yikes! Anyhow, it is lovely. At first they had us in a king size bedroom, then at check in, Tom and I looked at eachother and he said, "Ummm, that's my sister...." So, our room has 2 twin beds (no queens in this joint) and Anthony has a pull out bed that cost $60. a night. Egads! I am making full use of the consierge though. Very nice and helpful folks! We spent our first evening in Sydney going up in the Sydney Tower. It is similar to the CN Tower in Toronto for those folks familar with that. It is taller than any structure in Australia so you can imagine the great view and the wonderful sunset from up there. After that we walked around the harbor area (which is only 10 minutes from this lovely hotel). We were thrilled because it so happens that this week Syndey is having a lights festival and during this week of their winter the opera house has a lazer light show projected onto it and onto other downtown buildings. It was beautiful. The area around is called Circular Quay...They pronounce it Circular KAY. It was very crowded...for those Wisconsinites reading this: think SummerFest on a Saturday Night. We eventually found a nice restaurant to eat right on the Quay. Very good food. I tried my first and last Australian wine. I say last because that glass of wine cost the same as a whole bottle in Wisconsin. I'll drink it there I guess! Our first day in Sydney was great. Oh, another thing. The hotel room doesn't have WiFi (apparently Aussies aren't as plugged in as Americans) so we have to pay to get internet to be able to Skype with our loved ones (as in Tom's girlfriend, Anthony's girlfriend). So after Sunday you won't hear from me until I am home in Wisconsin. G'day!
No comments:
Post a Comment