Saturday, 4 June 2011

June 4th, Syndey

My rental bike and Manly habor in the background
The Heads and Syndey off in the distance
Today Tom and I went our separate ways so we could all see what we wanted to see in such a huge city. Sydney is about the size of Chicago...at least it seems pretty darn huge. I was ready to escape out of the noise and traffic. Tom and Anthony spent the day doing lots of walking around the Central Business District (they call it the CBD). They even went to the Sydney Aquarium.

 I started my morning early early. After about 6 I couldn't sleep anymore so I creeped about the dark room getting dressed and ready to head out (Note: Always travel with a little flashlight to save yourself bumped knees). I had a nice little Aussie coffee and cinnamon toast in a small cafe about 20 yards from the hotel. The people were so friendly for such a large city. After brekky (Aussie slang for Breakfast), I reserved a tour into the mountains for tomorrow (Yippee!). By then Tom and Anthonly were at least awake and talking to their girlfriends via Skype. I headed out to the Circular Quay and caught a ferry to Manly. Manly was apparently named that because when white settlers came here and discovered the area across the water it was inhabited by some Manly Aboriginies. So the name Manly stuck. Manly is basically a big suburb of Syndey but it is easly accessed by ferry across the harbor  (45 minutes) or a very long bus ride. Three different people had recommended we take this ferry for the view of the Syndey Opera House and the Harbor Bridge from the water. Boy am I glad I did. It was beautiful. The ferry was quite large (probably holding a couple of hundred people). There were all nationalities on the boat...I was inbetween a friendly couple from Italy  and another gal from China. In Manly they have a central area right off the beach called The Corso. I was lucky because this weekend they were having their annual Food and Wine Festival. It was very similar to the Cedarburg Wine and Harvest Festival, but the wine was definitly more costly per glass...$5.00 just to try. I didn't. I did, however, have a nice lunch of fish and chips (aka french fries) at a little cafe overlooking Manly Beach. Busy place with lots to see. After that I looked around in shops and did a bit of sightseeing. My Frommner's Sydney Guide that I had downloaded onto my Kindle before I left came in handy because I could read about all these things I was seeing. It also said the best way to get around was by renting a bicycle...so that is what I did!  I had a nice bike, similar (probably nicer) than the one I have at home. The bike shop folks told me where to go and a little map in hard plastic was attached to the handlebars so people like me wouldn't get lost.  I was on the intermediate level (for two hours or more). Wow, I am out of shape. I peddled up and up and up lots of hills in quiet neighborhoods with lots of beautiful trees all the way to a national park (can't remember the name right now). There I rode some more and then found myself at some beautiful lookouts. What a workout for that lookout! :)  (I just had to say that!). It was AWESOME. Sydney was way off in the distance and in the foreground were these amazing limestone cliffs. I never knew the area was like this. I am so glad I went out of my comfort zone to take off on my own to rent a bike.It was lovely and so peaceful after the big city. I spent a good long time walking around and just looking. The way back to the bike shop at the Wharf was really easy...all down hill. Australian bikes have their brakes opposite of ours and I had to keep to the left so I had lots to remember so I wouldn't kill myself. It was easy once I got the hang of it. I didn't attempt to ride through the roundabouts...walked my bike on those. So...I got lots of exercise, my feet don't hurt and it was a wonderful day. I took the  ferry back at sunset (another amazing view).  I found a grocery store and bought my dinner and breakfast for much  much cheaper than at restaurants. Tom and Anthony were already in the room so they went to the same grocery store after I told them about it. After a nice little dinner in our room we all went to the pool. The jacuzzi was kinda cool for a hot tub but I tried it out anyways. Tomorrow is a big tour for me and an early start. Tomorrow is also our last day in Australia before we head home on Monday.

No comments: