I stayed up late reading a good book last night (Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier for those that want to know!). What a true vacation -to stay up really late and not have any responsibilities in the morning! However, I woke up too early sleeping in a different room in a different bed so I have been tired all day. Today was church and before church Amy's brother and family arrived from Alaska just as we were heading out the door. They sure looked tired and I remember that jet lag feeling and am NOT looking forward to that again! Since I attended church with everyone last week I knew what to expect. The service itself is different and yet amazingly the same. Instead of a pastor giving a sermon the church has members get up and give testimonies of their faith according to a topic that was picked. I must admit they all were very inspiring. Tom and I looked at eachother and smiled when the first speaker said in the cool Aussie accent, "...and God is my best mate." It sounded awesome! His little sermonette was about how God gives us strength when we don't think we have any...how true. Gene also gave a talk too so this was sorta special for him. After the service, which lasts about an hour, I did a skidattle and crossed the street to the bluff called Kangaroo Point. Very nice lookout of the city of Brisbane. There were about 100 steps (although I didn't really count them) all the way down to a river walk that I followed for about an hour. It turned out to be a very sunny and warm morning. I had packed my comfortable walking shoes in my large purse so I could wear them instead of my churchy shoes. During the walk I saw lots of families together and people riding bikes on a trail next to the walking trail. I walked until the walking trail was in the full sun and then it got too warm for me so I turned back. Boats, jet skis, kyaks were all sharing the river. A nice walk always lifts the spirts and it was nice to be alone after hearing some good messages at church. I had brought my Kindle along (as I said, large purse) so I sat on a park bench and read my book. By noon I met everyone at the appointed place and we rode swished in the car and making jokes the whole way home.
All of us had yummy leftovers for lunch and for the next couple of hours everyone relaxed, visited with the Alaska relatives and hung out. What a nice way to spend a Sunday! Sometimes I wish I was doing more to see Australia, but today I realized I need to relax too and just enjoy the day for what it is. I sure enjoyed talking to another mom...now there are at least three women (plus two little girls) instead of all teenage boys and men. It was nice to have talks about good books and good movies...and eat brownies while doing it! Days like these I do miss the boys though. Sometimes I feel like I could be anywhere and that I am not really way down under! This is a very nice country to visit because it is so easy to get around. I sure hope to come back someday and really do a tour of the continent.
Well, everyone retired early tonight. Me to my room to watch The Count of Monte Cristo on my computer and Skype with family. (They actually got a hold of me even though it was 6:30 in the morning in Wisconsin!) Thegroup upstairs were watching Princess Bride, which is a great movie but I have seen it a gazillion times. I am really glad I brought the laptop with me to keep in touch with everyone. It lifts my spirits to see my boys on Skype being their normal selves Here are two pictures from my walk today along the Brisbane river.
No comments:
Post a Comment